Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Remains of 2009

Most of the days in the remains of December were spend not being at work. One Monday morning, our Director declared the office closed due to the winter storm that laid down upwards of two feet of snow during the weekend. The remainder of the week was business as usual including all the commuting troubles that are a daily affair.

The office is always closed between Christmas and New Years anyway, so many days were not commute days. One day there just before Christmas Eve, we arrived on the 15 Track and I waited for the conductor to drag the lift along the icy platform that had not been adequately prepared for the morning commuters. Several people slipped getting of the train but no one seemed to have gotten hurt. Even thought I suggested to one of the supervisors that they were risking medical liability with poor station maintenance, the same platform was still snow burdened as we were departing our 5:20 train from there too.

I met with several of the Car 5 Gang while waiting on the boarding lift to arrive. They climbed the steps to our usual car while I waited. When the conductor arrived from the head end of the train, there was too much snow and ice by the door so we used the next car forward. "This is only an 8 car train tonight, so it won't matter," Tom said. I boarded further forward and wrangled a fold up seat by getting a passenger to switch sides.

Princess Carly arrived and stood by the back of the seat next to me and closed her eyes. "I am sooo tired and I have sooo much to do," she said. "I could sleep standing up right here." I told her that the rest of the Gang was back one car, but she said, "I can stand here or stand there." She stayed.

The next day we were again on the low platform. This time there was no snow to impede boarding. Carly arrived, early as did George. Both were able to sit. The day was light and few people were standing at all. George shared around a bottle of Vodka in small plastic cups. Coast Guard Bicycle Girl came in minus the bicycle (normal for this time of year) and she too had a seat. No Vodka.

We pondered the schedules of the rest of the Gang and considered a possible social event on the train. Ultimately, Trish used the email list to organize Wednesday, Dec 30 as the date. I was going to be off and away so I was not part of the plan. Too bad, I hear it was a good time.

So to all of the Gang I say, "Have a happy holiday of your choice. And you don't have to pick just one."

No comments:

Post a Comment